Symptoms of Headaches
Headaches are caused by a variety of triggers. These triggers include noise, stress, allergies, lighting, lack of sleep, blood sugar, exercising, and more. Did you know that 95 percent of headaches are called primary headaches? Primary headaches are those that are not caused by disease.
There are many different types of headaches, and each type comes with its own set of symptoms. The common types of primary headaches and their symptoms are:
- Cervicogenic headaches (CGH)
- Cervicogenic headaches are typically caused by neck pain
- Pain is worse at the base of the skull, and spreads to the forehead, temples, eyes, face, and shoulders
- May experience sensitivity to light and noise
- Sometimes accompanied by nausea
- Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction (TMJD)
- TMJD is a disorder that occurs in the jaw
- Causes pain, discomfort, and lock jaw
- Can cause head pain and myofascial pain
- Cluster Headaches
- Accompanied by intense burning or shooting pain behind one eye
- Usually does not last for more than 90 minutes
- Can occur multiple times a day
- Sinus Headaches
- Typically the pain impacts the cheekbones and bridge of the nose, as well as the forehead
- Pain often is exacerbated by movement
- Usually is accompanied by nasal congestion, ear pressure, and swelling in the face
- Tension Headaches
- Tension headaches are the most common types of headaches
- They typically start in the neck and neck muscles
- Typically accompanied by pain across the forehead and sides of the head
- Migraine Headaches
- Migraines are often described as the most painful type of headache
- Caused by spasm and over-dilation of the arteries in your brain
- Often include nausea and vomiting, as well as throbbing pain
- Sensitivity to light
- Can be accompanied by weakness or numbness in the various limbs
- Some migraine sufferers report visual aura’s before the migraine arrives
Chiropractic Treatment of Headaches
The American Chiropractic Association offers multiple suggestions on how to prevent headaches. The ACA recommends:
- Take frequent breaks from stationary positions every 30 to 60 minutes, especially when sitting at a desk, watching tv, reading, or spending time in front of the computer screen
- Make the effort to stretch your neck by leaning it side to side and up and down during your breaks
- Be intentional about relaxing your jaw muscles and not clenching your teeth
- Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated
Doctors of chiropractic treat headaches at their source, unlike over the counter medications, which simply mask the pain. A report published in 2014 in the Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics (JMPT) stated that the interventions that doctors of chiropractic utilize improve treatment outcomes for those suffering from acute and chronic neck pain. It also stated there was an increased benefit in several patients where a multimodal approach to neck pain was utilized. In 2011, this same journal published a study stating that chiropractic care, including spinal manipulation, improves migraine and cervicogenic headaches.
Dr. Dave at Rise Chiropractic, located in Jacksonville, Florida, treats patients’ headache pain at the source. Over the counter and prescription medications simply mask headache pain. Since they do not treat pain at the root cause, this is why headaches continue to occur over and over again.
Dr. Dave will make every effort to identify misalignments in the spine, also known as subluxations, and correct them using chiropractic adjustments and other types of therapies. These spinal misalignments are often responsible for countless issues throughout the body, including headaches.
If you visit Dr. Dave at Rise Chiropractic, you can expect the following efforts to treat headache pain:
- Spinal manipulation and chiropractic adjustments to improve spinal function
- Reduced stress on your central nervous system
- Nutritional advice that can help identify any foods that may trigger headaches
- Advice on posture, exercises, and specific techniques that may help prevent headaches
What are the Benefits of Chiropractic Treatment?
Doctors of Chiropractic go through extensive schooling in order to become experts of the spine and central nervous system. The spine is home to the central nervous system. The CNS controls every function and cell in the entire body. If the spine becomes misaligned, it makes it impossible for the central nervous system to function at its best. This, in turn, can lead to headaches, joint pain, back pain, allergies, and more.
Chiropractic care aims to eliminate pain and other less than optimal conditions throughout the body. As Dr. Dave corrects the spinal subluxations, order is restored throughout the entire body. If the spine is correctly aligned, the central nervous system can do its job by helping your body run optimally!
Doctors of chiropractic are experts of the spine. The spine houses the body’s central nervous system. The CNS controls every single function and cell of the body. When the spine becomes misaligned, the nervous system cannot function as it should. This dysfunction leads to conditions such as headaches, joint pain, back pain, and more.
Chiropractic treatment seeks to eradicate pain and other unfortunate conditions by treating them at their source. By correcting subluxations in the spine, chiropractic care restores order and function. When the spine is properly aligned, the central nervous system can help your body run the way it is supposed to!
Rise Chiropractic Can Help!
Dr. Dave knows that headaches can negatively influence a person’s quality of life. Whether a headache keeps your from spending time with your loved ones, or decreases your productivity at the office, headaches are a literal pain. There is no need to accept headaches are a normal part of life. With chiropractic care, they do not have to be! Dr. Dave and the amazing team at Rise Chiropractic, located in Jacksonville, Florida, can help treat your headache pain.
If you are interested in chiropractic treatment of headaches, please contact Rise Chiropractic today. Dr. Dave and his amazing staff look forward to the opportunity to help you!